My photo
"Where better to care for the soul than in the details of our daily lives?....The soul has an absolute, unforgiving need for regular excursions into enchantment. It requires them like the body needs food and the mind needs thought... An enchanted world is one that speaks to the soul, to the mysterious depths of the heart and imagination where we find value, love and union with the world around us. As mystics of many religions have taught, that sense of rapturous union can give a sense of fulfillment that makes life purposeful and vibrant." ~ Thomas Moore.

Friday, March 16, 2012

When the Fireplace is not used?


We have a fireplace in this old cottage. It gets used maybe once or twice during the year. We live in Florida. When the day comes where its cold enough for a fire, its like a Christmas day. The fires are beautiful, relaxing, hypnotizing muses, and I love them. But here, 99% of the time, the fireplace is not used, and I have to get creative in finding ways to make an unused fireplace look like more than just a blackened ashy pit. This picture is with a flash and the overhead lighting on which I never use so it is much brighter, no sense in showing you a picture of just a dark pit.


I have grand ideas for it, but the cost is not feasible at this time. So again, I had to find a way to make it look nice without the $, with what I had, and to be able to keep it that way regularly. I remember I had put some cuttings of white plumbago in a vase in there and it was beautiful, but then again, almost anything is better than a black ashy pit. :D
So I went ahead and began cleaning it out, and yes I did sing the song Chim Chiminy Chim Chiminy Chim Chim Cheru .

I decided on simple, which always works. A vase of white flowers with candles using what glass I had around doing nothing, and added candles of what was on hand. I added some shimmery silvery 6 inch ribbon to 2 of the vases for a nice glow. But this is it for now. By the time I was done, the light coming through the chimney lit the floor of the fireplace which was nice.



1 comment:

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated and responded to when possible.